Honey Crunch Pecan Pie
A dessert that has to be tasted to believed.
Serves 1 pie |
|2 cups flour |
|1 teaspoon salt |
|3/4 cup shortening |
|6 tablespoons cold water |
|1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar |
|4 eggs, lightly beaten |
|1/4 cup brown sugar |
|1/4 cup white sugar |
|1/2 teaspoon salt |
|1 cup light corn syrup |
|2 tablespoons butter, melted |
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract |
|1 cup chopped pecans |
|3 tablespoons butter |
|3 tablespoons honey |
- Preheat oven to 350° F. To Make Crust: In a medium bowl, mix together flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add water and vinegar. Cut together until mixture will hold together. Press dough into a ball and flour each side lightly. Wrap in plastic and chill for 20 minutes. Roll out between wax paper into a circle 1/8-inch-thick and press into 9 inch pie pan.
- To Make Filling: In a large bowl, combine eggs, 1/4 cup brown sugar, white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, corn syrup, melted butter, vanilla extract, and chopped pecans. Add bourbon if desired. Mix well. Spoon mixture into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove and cover edges of pastry with aluminum foil. Return to oven for 20 minutes.
- To Make Topping: Combine 1/3 cup brown sugar, butter or margarine, and honey in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves - about 2 minutes. Add pecans. Stir just until coated. Spoon topping evenly over pie.
- Keep foil on edges of pastry and return pie to oven for an additional 10 to 20 minutes, until topping is bubbly and golden brown. Cool to room temperature before serving.