Homemade Chocolate Pudding
Enjoy the creamy texture and rich flavor of homemade chocolate pudding.
Serves 5 (1/2 CUP) SERVINGS |
|2 cups fat-free milk |
|1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa |
|3 tablespoons cornstarch |
|2/3 cup sugar |
|1/8 teaspoon salt |
|1 large egg, lightly beaten |
|1/2 semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped |
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract |
| Whipped topping, for garnish |
- Place milk, cocoa, cornstarch, sugar and salt in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Place saucepan over medium-high heat; cook ingredients, constantly whisking, until mixture is hot, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk 1/3 cup of the hot milk mixture into bowl with lightly beaten egg and then whisk egg mixture into remaining hot milk mixture. While constantly whisking, cook until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat; add chopped chocolate, whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in vanilla.
- Pour pudding mixture into a glass bowl. Place a piece of heavy-duty plastic wrap directly onto warm pudding mixture in order to keep a film from forming on top of the pudding. Place pudding in refrigerator and chill for 2 hours or until pudding is completely cool.
- Evenly divide pudding amongst 5 individual serving dishes. Garnish with whipped topping.